BC Finance Minister Carole James delivered the province’s 2019 budget update on February 19, 2019. The budget anticipates a surplus of $274 million for the current year, $287 million for 2020 and $585 million in 2021.
The biggest announcements are:
- BC Child Opportunity Benefit
- Interest Free Student Loans
BC Child Opportunity Benefit
The BC Child Opportunity Benefit covers all children under 18 and can be applied for starting in October 2020. (This replaces the Early Childhood Tax Benefit where the benefit ended once a child turned six.)
Starting October 2020, families will receive a refundable tax credit per year up to:
- $1,600 with one child
- $2,600 with two children
- $3,400 with three children
Families with one child earning $97,500 or more and families with two children earning $114,500 or more will receive nothing.
Interest Free Student Loans
The provincial portion of student loans will now be interest-free effective as of February 19, 2019. The announcement covers both current and existing student loans.
Medical Services Premium
As previously announced in the last budget, effective January 1, 2020, the Medical Services Premium (MSP) will be eliminated. In last year’s budget update, MSP was reduced by 50% effective January 1, 2018.
Public Education System
The public education system will receive $550 million in additional support.
Pharmacare program will be expanded with an additional $42 million to cover more drugs, including those for diabetes, asthma and hypertension.
To learn how these changes will affect you, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
- CERB Extended | Business Owners who did not qualify previously – expanded CEBA starts June 19thJune 17, 2020 - 11:51 am
- Insurance Planning for Young FamiliesJune 2, 2020 - 2:17 pm
- Small Businesses! Applications for Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance starts May 25thMay 24, 2020 - 1:43 pm
- Expanded eligibility for CEBA $40,000 interest-free loanMay 19, 2020 - 1:44 pm
- Apply starting Friday for Canada Emergency Student Benefit! Help on the way for seniors.May 13, 2020 - 1:51 pm
ACA Financial is an independent financial advisory firm founded on the principle of client-focused advice. Our approach, listening and understanding our clients' unique needs. The result, a clear and mutual understanding and the foundation for all planning considerations. We are committed to demonstrating value by delivering on each client's need for growth, safety, liquidity and cash flow.
LIFE AND HEALTH INSURANCE PRODUCTS ARE PROVIDED BY ACA FINANCIAL. LIFE AND HEALTH INSURANCE PRODUCTS AND SERVICES ARE NOT AVAILABLE THROUGH DESJARDINS FINANCIAL SECURITY INVESTMENTS INC. (DFS INVESTMENTS) NOR ARE THE INSURANCE PLANS OR SERVICES AVAILABLE AND/OR OFFERED SUPERVISED OR REVIEWED BY DFS INVESTMENTS. DFS INVESTMENTS IS THE MUTUAL FUND DEALER THROUGH WHICH MUTUAL FUND PRODUCTS AND SERVICES ARE PROVIDED.