Working with us to create your financial plan helps you identify your long and short term life goals. When you have a plan, it’s easier to make decisions that align with your goals. We outline 8 key areas of financial planning:
- Income: learn to manage your income effectively through planning
- Cash Flow: monitoring your cash flow, will help you keep more of your cash
- Understanding: understanding provides you an effective way to make financial decisions that align with your goals
- Family Security: having proper coverage will provide peace of mind for your family
- Investment: proper planning guides you in choosing the investments that fit your goals
- Assets: learn the true value of your assets. (Assets – Liabilities)
- Savings: life happens, it’s important to have access to an emergency fund
- Review: reviewing on a regular basis is important to make sure your plan continues to meet your goal
Writing an estate plan is important if you own personal assets but is all the more crucial if you also own your own business. This is due to the additional business complexities that need to be addressed, including tax issues, business succession and how to handle bigger and more complex estates. Seeking professional help from an accountant, lawyer or financial advisor is an effective way of dealing with such complexities. As a starting point, ask yourself these seven key questions and, if you answer “no” to any of them, it may highlight an area that you need to take remedial action towards.
- Have you made a contingency plan for what will happen to your business if you are incapacitated or die unexpectedly?
- Have you and any co-owners of your business made a buy-sell agreement?
- If so, is the buy-sell agreement funded by life insurance?
- If you have decided that a family member will inherit your business when you die, have you provided other family members with assets of an equal value?
- Have you appointed a successor to your business?
- Are you making the most of the lifetime capital gains exemption ($835,714 in 2017) on your shares of the business, if you are a qualified small business?
- Are you taking care to minimize any possible tax liability that may be payable by your estate in the event of your death?
The process of freezing the value of your business at a particular date is an increasingly common way of protecting your estate from a large capital gains tax bill if your business increases in value. To achieve this, usually the shares in the business that have the highest growth potential are redistributed to others, often your children, meaning that they will be liable for the tax on any increase in their value in the future. In exchange, you will receive new shares allowing you to maintain control of the business with a key difference – the value of the shares is frozen so that your tax liability is lower and that of your estate when you die will also be reduced.
Retirement planning can be challenging, we’ve outlined what we feel are 6 steps to retirement success.
- Have a written plan which merges life priorities with financial resources.
- Consolidate your income-producing assets with one advisor.
- Layer different sources of income in the most efficient manner.
- Structure income in order to preserve valuable tax credits and government benefits.
- Create efficient cash flow by investing your income-producing assets wisely.
- Implement efficient solutions for health-cost risks and wealth transfer strategies.
Talk to us about a complimentary comprehensive review of your retirement plan.
- 2023 Personal Year-End Tax TipsDecember 4, 2023 - 10:48 am
- 2023 Year-End Tax Tips and Strategies for Business OwnersDecember 4, 2023 - 10:48 am
- The Health Spending Account for Business Owners and Incorporated ProfessionalsNovember 1, 2023 - 6:00 am
- Protecting Key Talent using Group BenefitsOctober 4, 2023 - 6:00 am
- Understanding Registered Education Savings Plans (RESPs) in CanadaSeptember 1, 2023 - 6:00 am
ACA Financial is an independent financial advisory firm founded on the principle of client-focused advice. Our approach, listening and understanding our clients' unique needs. The result, a clear and mutual understanding and the foundation for all planning considerations. We are committed to demonstrating value by delivering on each client's need for growth, safety, liquidity and cash flow.
LIFE AND HEALTH INSURANCE PRODUCTS ARE PROVIDED BY ACA FINANCIAL. LIFE AND HEALTH INSURANCE PRODUCTS AND SERVICES ARE NOT AVAILABLE THROUGH DESJARDINS FINANCIAL SECURITY INVESTMENTS INC. (DFS INVESTMENTS) NOR ARE THE INSURANCE PLANS OR SERVICES AVAILABLE AND/OR OFFERED SUPERVISED OR REVIEWED BY DFS INVESTMENTS. DFS INVESTMENTS IS THE MUTUAL FUND DEALER THROUGH WHICH MUTUAL FUND PRODUCTS AND SERVICES ARE PROVIDED.